Barry "Noted Chef" Sanders was kind enough to share this recipe with me. It is the roadmap to palette nirvana.
Sri Lankan Chicken
1 cinnamon stick
2 tbsp vinegar
2 tbsp paprika
½ tsp chilli powder (more or less to taste)
4 cardamom pods
2 whole cloves (the spice not garlic)
2. Once the chicken has marinated, heat the oil in a medium sized skillet or saucepan over a medium. Saute the onions until golden brown onions, then add the garlic, ginger, chilli mince and curry leaves for 3
3. Reduce the heat, add cumin, coriander, and turmeric and cook the spices for another minute or until fragrant.
4. Now add the marinated chicken mixture to the pan and return the heat to medium to high, and brown the chicken for 3-5 minutes.
5. Next add the can of crushed tomatoes and bring mixture to the boil. Add coconut cream. Reduce heat to a simmer.
6. Allow to simmer uncovered for 25-30 minutes until sauce has thickened.
7. Serve on a bed of basmati/jasmine rice and garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.